Tuesday, June 7, 2011

promises for my future

The other day we were at our local high school celebrating one of my oldest (and closest) friend's graduation. As we were sitting there, burning in the hot sun, the girl who placed second in her class gave a speech. One thing she said really struck me. She was talking about the future and how none of us know what it holds (true), but as she was speaking about this she added, "we have no promises for our future" and I couldn't help but think of how dismal, hopeless, and scary the future must be for her. NO idea what the future holds, no one to run to when everyone leaves, no one to bring ALL her troubles to. I am sure this high school graduate, second in her class of two-hundred eight students has much knowledge, but all the knowledge in the world could never replace the promises God has given me. He promises to never leave me or forsake me (Deuteronomy 31:5), he promises that he knows the plans he has for me-he has plans to prosper me and not to harm me, plans to give me a hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11), he promises to answer me when I call him (Jeremiah 33:3), he promises to give me rest (Matthew 11:28), and he promises to come back for me. All I need to do is call to him-come to him. I wouldn't trade these promises for all the knowledge in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment